Question about Camera alignment for pano

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

asnowfall

Question about Camera alignment for pano

Post by asnowfall » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm

I have a basic question about axis of rotation for Pano.
I am aware that camera should be rotated on Nodal point. Nodal point gives the offset along the barrel of the lens. My question is about where to place the barrel itself. Please see the attached picture to understand my question. Should the camera be aligned along P1 or P2?
I think it should be P1, I am just confirming.

Thanks
(PS: This is a Tele lens. I am able to get Nodal point for 83mm and 95mm by just moving the lens along Tripod collar of Lens. That is why I do not have the 3rd rail, and just using circular clamp. Please note that I am not planning to explore Nodal points for higher focal lengths :-) )
Q1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnh

Re: Question about Camera alignment for pano

Post by johnh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 am

To be precise, you should rotate the camera about the entrance pupil of the lens, not one of the two nodal points. It's also often referred to as the no parallax point (NPP). Position the camera such that the NPP lies on the vertical and horizontal axes of rotation.

See: http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

John