Night turns to Day

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

maxlyons

Night turns to Day

Post by maxlyons » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:36 pm

I almost deleted the images in this panorama before even attempting to stitch them together because I didn't think they would stitch correctly. The panorama was taken in early October last year in Death Valley. I was trying to shoot a five image panorama of the stars over the Racetrack before sunrise. I shot the images from right to left, starting a little more than an hour before sunrise. Each exposure was 150 seconds, and in the minutes it took me to shoot this sequence the light from the sun (still below the horizon) started to brighten the sky. Looking at the images on the camera's screen, I thought that the panorama would be a failure because of the obvious change in light. However, before deleting the images, I decided to see what they would look like when stitched together. I think I like the result! I did a little adjustment to the brightness of the images before stitching (to try and even out the light intensities). I think the streak towards the right side of the image is the International Space Station.

A larger image is here, and some others taken on the same day are here.

Max

Rogers

Re: Night turns to Day

Post by Rogers » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 am

Assuming that all images were of the same settings, (especially shutter speed for consistency of star trails), I think it's quite interesting.

Unfortunately the transition between the middle and the starfield at right feels a bit off - this may be due to what seem to be clouds.

Personally, I would prefer one last shot on the right hand side to balance out the star rotations - have two diametrically opposing whirlpools of stars.

I wonder if the exposure at right were a little darker (less grey) it might have been a bit more powerful.

Sorry if my comments are a bit overcritical, it's a great piece, but I don't know if I'd call it 'stellar' :P

Again, nothing but respect, I've admired your work for years, and hope to be able to create pieces of art like you have one day!

seigell

Post by seigell » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Not bad... The terrestrial pano is nice. And I guess that at that FL, any images without start trailing would see the stars too small to be recognized as more than light noise...

Did you camp at the Racetrack, as if I remember it'd be 2-3 hrs driving in the dark to be there in time for Sunrise ??
I tried for the Sunset equivalent mid-April '11, but ended up with 50mph winds "racing" through the playa.

Jim Zuccaro

Post by Jim Zuccaro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am

Max, Nice pano and effect. The ISS track is cool!

The difference of the views, east to west, probably had as big a day-to-night effect as the 15 minutes elapsed?

What did you think of the drive to the Race Track?