Trip to Denver colorado

Forum for discussion of topics that don't fit into any other category

Moderator: spamkiller

Trip to Denver colorado

Post by panhobby » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi all,

I have a professional trip planned at the beginning of dec 08 in the area of Denver. In order to decide to stay or not to stay one more week in the region, I wonder if the city and the region worse staying one more week to practice photography? I would appreciate any advise of what could be visited in one week? Which direction is the most interesting, south to New mexico, North to montains,.. ?

Thanks a lot,

Post by dsp » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:15 am

Hi PH,
This may be too late (I don't check open talk that often), but there are lots of great areas nearby. As far as nature, in under 8 hours (drive) you can be in Utah (Arches), about 6 hours Wyoming (Grand Tetons and Yellowstone), and in less time to Great Sand Dunes, and in much less time, the Rockies. There is lots of nice hiking and shooting on the Front Range. If you want more human interest, there are lots of abandoned mines and so on. Hope you enjoy your trip.
best regards, Darcy

Post by dsjtecserv » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Like Darcy, I apologize for not responding sooner. Yes, by all means if you can take an extra week it will be more than worth it. There are far more than a week's worth of photo-worth locations within an 8-hour drive.

The high mountains will be snowbound by now, and Yellowstone is probably closed (except for snow cat tours). But there is still lots of places you can go to for mountain scenery. The lower, desert locations will be perfect this time of year, not too hot. Check out the National Park Service website: You can click on the map on the home page to get to the pages for specific parks in specific states. Among the ones to look for are: Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Dinosaur, Great Sand Dunes, Black Canyon, Mesa Verde. Further away would be Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bandalier, Devils Tower, Badlands, etc. and those are just the NPS-administered parks! The are uncountable state parks and national forest locations that are also worth visiting.

Near Denver, Garden of the Gods is supposed to be great, although I haven't been there.

For a good sampling of the intermountain west, head generally west of Denver through the mountains to western Colorado and eastern Utah, veering off to prime locations along the way. You can circle back either through southern Colorado/northern New Mexico, or through Wyoming (up to Tenon/Yellowstone if time). That would a trip to remember.