75 megapixel (downsampled) 360-degree view from Norway

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

terje.mathisen

75 megapixel (downsampled) 360-degree view from Norway

Post by terje.mathisen » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:56 pm

We have recently exchanged our mountain cabin near Rjukan, Telemark, for one that is located in the Rauland community.

Last weekend I skied/climbed to the top of the closest mountain to make a proper 360-degree view of the area. With a 22 mm zoom setting on my Oly 8080W, I needed 27 (portrait) images to cover the circle, which could have given me 120+ Mpix results, but to avoid having to work with images larger than Photoshop's default 30,000 pixel limit, I set the output resolution to 30,000 exactly. This gave me 2500 vertical pixels after cropping, i.e. a 75 Mpix result.

Here I have downsampled this to 7171x600 (1.3 MB):

Our cabin is located near the cluster of buildings located in the middle of the image!

The area seen here contains about 140 km of cross country ski trails, along with the 3-4 downhill (alpine) ski areas.

A small crop:

Terje

bill t.

Post by bill t. » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:02 pm

Excellent pano, Terje. Tonality and color very well balanced all the way around, all 26 blends are perfect. Now we need to have a QTVR version!

FWIW Photoshop CS2 support files with more than 30K pixel dimensions with it ".psb" file format. "b" for "big" I suppose.

Bill T. www.unit16.net

terje.mathisen

Post by terje.mathisen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:07 pm

bill t. wrote:Excellent pano, Terje. Tonality and color very well balanced all the way around, all 26 blends are perfect. Now we need to have a QTVR version!

FWIW Photoshop CS2 support files with more than 30K pixel dimensions with it ".psb" file format. "b" for "big" I suppose.

Bill T. www.unit16.net
QTVR version? I'd love to do that, assuming there's some open source/free sw available to do it?

I have previously used .PSB for a 56-image 360-degree pano, where I split the images into three groups to make sure that each (overlapping) part would fit within 30K:

http://tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.p ... ght=hvaler

Terje

bill t.

Post by bill t. » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:19 pm

Hello Terje,

Pano2qtvr could turn that into QTVR movie in no time at all. The free version is all you need.

http://www.pano2qtvr.com/

I have done several ~35000 pixel wide, single file .psb images with no problems at all...except for Photoshop being very, very slow!

Bill T. www.unit16.net

terje.mathisen

Post by terje.mathisen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:12 pm

bill t. wrote:Hello Terje,

Pano2qtvr could turn that into QTVR movie in no time at all. The free version is all you need.
Thanks, I tried it, loading the 26 MB cylindrical .jpeg image, and after not too many minutes I got back a 25 MB .mov file.

Thanks!